"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Monday, March 09, 2009

answering an ad

I was reading the classifieds on the weekend. I like to see what people have for sale. I never, ever buy anything, although I came close once when I saw incredibly low-priced mason jars listed. Alas, they were already gone.

The most interesting ones are the $5 ads. You know - $5 for a leisure suit, size 12. Or $5 for yarn. (Yarn. Try saying "yarn" over and over, slowly. Sounds weird, doesn't it? What an odd word. Now it's stuck in your head for the day.)

It's not that they're not good deals. It just would never, ever occur to me to sell off my leisure suits, one at a time, in the classifieds. My theory is, it's a form of entertainment to the vendors - they just rotate obscure items they own through the ads, to see if anyone wants what they have. If not - no harm done - the ads are free. If someone calls - well, hey, you've made $5.

Anyway. I'm feeling adventurous today. I'm gonna answer an ad, right after I finish this post. It's not a "for sale" item. It's a "wanted" item. A new local food producer is looking for back yards for "eating locally - growing locally".

Imagine the possibilities. My back yard, transformed into a beautiful, bounteous paradise, full of tender berries and brightly-coloured vegetables. The stones that have drifted by the thousands from the invisible "driveway" into the yard over the years, all miraculously disappear. Crabgrass is a thing of the past. And I am an urban hero, growing food aplenty for the masses, and maybe making a little money too.

Then there are the less-appealing possibilities. People I don't know in my back yard at all hours. *shudder* This is my safe space, my alone space, my very favourite place from April to September, and I would hate to give it up to ... you know ... strangers.

So, I'm sending a cautious email response. "Looking for more information."

Meanwhile - I have a "like-new" soap dish, burgundy. $5 obo. Call me.