"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Thursday, March 12, 2009

bone-cracking conversation

I was chattin' with my chiropractor today, as he rearranged my back.

I was telling him about someone I know that I don't bother to argue with, because they are rather strong-minded.

"Mmm," he said. Then he paused. "Of course - so are you."

I paused.

"Yup," I said. "I am. But I choose my battles."

"On your back please," he said. I turned.

"You," he said thoughtfully, "have a very strong sense of self. You know who you are."

"Yup," I said. "I do."

"That can be a rare thing, especially in women," he said.

"Yup," I said. "It is."

Arms over the head, one more crack.

"You must have good genes," he said.

"Yup," I said. "I do."

And that was that. I may have a strong sense of who I am, with strong opinions, but I was fresh out of words to express what those opinions might be.

Fortunately, me and my chiropractor - we think the same, so he already knows anyway.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

haha. one of those days :)

and nice to have a chiropractor it's ok to be fresh out of words with

Dougie G said...

I have conversations like that with my chiropractor too. Funny how we tend to open up to people who are amoung the very few who are permitted to touch us without getting knocked into next week!