"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Sunday, May 31, 2009

time to get warm!



It's May 31.
Who do I need to speak to about this weather? It's chilly out there this morning, my friends.

Thought I'd give you a garden update. Because I know how deeply you care. (Remember, on this blog, we pretend to care about my garden, just out of courtesy. It's awfully nice of you to go along with that.)

Planted:
  • green beans
  • yellow beans
  • strawberries
  • rhubarb
  • tomatoes
  • watermelon
  • lettuce
  • fancy lettuce
  • spinach
  • more ivy
  • more moss
  • various flowers in various pots and hanging baskets

Transplanted

  • A houseplant that does well in the shade outside. Don't know it's name.
  • hens and chicks (I'm really learning to love those things; they need no attention at all and happily spread wherever you ask them to.)
  • oregano
  • blackberry bush

Disappeared

I have also trellised, hoed, dug, weeded, trimmed, lopped, bundled and collected rain water. And stared. I stare at dirt a lot at this time of year, willing seeds to sprout.

And I'm a little concerned that last night's storm - spectacular as it was - may have overwhelmed and drowned a few tender seeds that were only planted a few hours before it rolled in.

Still. A spectacular storm is not a bad trade-off for spinach.