"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Friday, May 22, 2009

kittens!

Last evening, I glanced out my patio door, and saw movement in my veggie garden. And by veggie garden, I mean rectangular area of dirt, yet to be planted. Took a closer look (we've had bunnies before, to my delight) and saw ... ohmygosh ... kittens!

Five perfect little furballs, exploring their 3-inch high world. They aren't walking yet, so much as doing those four-legged leaps that make them so darn adorable. Clover was an obstacle to jump over, a patio stone was a mountain to climb, and the forget-me-nots a jungle in which to get lost. Every now and then, one of them would bat a leaf (or another kitten) and then bounce around with excitement.

Mama cat eyed me firmly, then wandered off. (I suspect she was thankful for a babysitter so she could get out for awhile.)

With Mama out of the way, I made my way slowly closer to these joyful little piles of fluff. But Mama has them well-trained - they tolerated me up until about five feet away, and then silently withdrew in unison, backing into the bushes. I squatted down and waited, and a few minutes later - pop! - the bravest of them poked her head up just high enough to see if I was still there. Giggles on my part.

This morning, I didn't see them. Until Mama returned, eyed me again, and then went into the bushes to wake up and feed her little brood. This time there were only four. And then she led one of them away through the hedge.

Tonight - they're all gone.

But my smile is still here.