"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Friday, June 12, 2009

nobody's a comedian

I amuse myself. You've probably figured that out about me. The older I get, the more I am likely to be that person in the corner, killing themself laughing at their own joke.

So the other day I was watching a TV interview with Jim Balsillie's spokesman. You know, over the whole, "Please, may we have an NHL team in Hamilton" discussion. (It sounds suspiciously like my elementary school days - "Please, may I have a turn jumping rope?")

So in the middle of the interview, the interviewer solemnly says, "Now, I know Mr. Balsillie is not in Phoenix for this court date, but how does Mr. Balsillie keep in touch with you there? Does he stay in close contact with you while all of this is going on?"

Let me re-frame that question. How does Jim Balsillie, top guy of Research In Motion, creator of the Blackberry, stay in touch with his people in Phoenix?

Let's pause to consider that question, shall we?


...


I wanted so badly for the interviewee to give a deadpan response - "Well, Mr. Balsillie bought an i-phone, so...."

But he didn't.

No one caught that moment, just waiting to be exploited and laughed at.

But me? I shared the humour with myself, and then killed myself laughing at my own joke.