"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Monday, February 15, 2010

a day of gold

****************************************

****************************************

Last night we ate a full Turkish meal, followed by Ashure with our Turkish Muslim friends. We've done this for a few years now, and I feel like I'm starting to get to know Ahmet and Esma, and those that are part of their circle. I sat with Esma last night, and we both laughed as the people at our table attempted to communicate - no easy task, as some of her crowd didn't speak English, and some of my crowd were Deaf.

These evenings are always impacting for me. More than a polite, politically-correct gathering - they are a very deliberate, very outward expression of love and friendship from each group to the other. A wholehearted allowance for one another's way of living. A hint at how the world could be.

At the end of the evening, Esma folded her woven scarf, a beautiful creation in shimmering gold threads, and handed it to me. "My gift to you," she smiled, knowing I had been admiring it.

A gift indeed, and one that is much more than a simple scarf.

A gift of friendship.

1 comment:

Sheepdog said...

Nice!

It's wonderful how faith and love bring people together and how very different people come to see that we are not so different from each other after all.

Yep, the gold and the treasure is in much more than the scarf.