"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Friday, February 12, 2010

opening ceremonies

Opening ceremonies for the Olympic games are tonight, at 9 PM my time.

As a local radio host wryly commented this morning... "40 million dollar show. You should watch it. After all, you're paying for it."

I'm not a huge Olympics watcher, off the top. I do think it's cool. It's very inspiring. The athletes are really, quite wonderful. It's just that I ... well, I forget to care. The closer we get to the end of the games, the more interested I am, because then the media has told me what I'm excited about, and that's always helpful.

Last time, the whole China thing kind of put me off.

But you know what's nice this time?

I'll tell you.

A time zone that is remotely close to my waking hours.

Because that's what the Olympics are all about - me and my non-negotiable need for sleep.

Go Canada!