"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Thursday, September 05, 2013

confessions

I can't take it.

I have to get this off my chest.

OK. Here goes.

*clears throat*

*coughs*

I am here to openly confess to you that there will be no canning in our house this year.

It's not that I won't regret it throughout the entire fall, winter and spring to come. I will, most certainly.

It's not that I don't like canning. I do, oddly enough.

It's not that I don't feel it's well worth the effort. I know it is.

I just don't have it in me this year. It's a simple fact. I'm choosing to accept it.

Next year - for sure. By next year I will have had several months to remember that the store stuff tastes like styrofoam compared to the home stuff. I will be highly motivated. Next year, I'm thinking I'll do DOUBLE, so that I don't have to can the year after that.

All I want are lots of peaches and lots of tomatoes. Maybe some pickled beets, but they aren't essential. I'm still hoping to pull off some of that eggplant-basil-garlic mix that I love, because technically - it's not canning. It gets put in canning jars. But there's no boiling of any kind.

(I really love that eggplant mix. No one else does. Which means more for me. Win-win.)

So ... that's all I have to say.

If I think of anything else to confess, I'll let you know.

Thanks.

*awkward silence*

*stands and quietly exits the room*