"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Friday, September 03, 2010

bananas

Got any bananas?

Wednesday night I realized I had gotten out of my banana-a-day habit. I've always LOVED bananas and was even given a banana guard once. When I was really into running, I ate even MORE bananas ... they're good for what ails you when running. And I thought I was still eating bananas, but apparently I haven't been because ...


... prepare to laugh ...


... at practice on Wednesday night, my toes cramped. On both feet. And they wouldn't uncramp. For about 10 minutes.


You aren't laughing? Oh, let me explain further. The practice was a musical one, at which I stand at a keyboard and play while singing. Generally, my right foot (specifically the toes) is also working a pedal on the ground. Doesn't work while right toes are tightly curled into a ball.


So I kicked my shoes off and kept going. Didn't help. Threw the pedal to the other side and worked it with my left foot, while stretching out my right foot, still playing; there were also various facial expressions, still singing. Awkward. Switching feet didn't help, because then my left toes cramped. Put the pedal back on the right side, and played a few songs using my right heel, which involves lifting the entire leg up and down. I looked like a crane picking my way through a marsh.



I'm the leader of the whole thing, so although I'm pretty sure the whole band was smirking behind my back, they were awfully nice to my face, pretending that my weird contortions were perfectly dignified.

They were not, I assure you.

Clearly, I am low on potassium, so I repeat ...

Got any bananas??