"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Friday, December 03, 2010

mid-maintenance

It was a rare day. Most days have too much to do, and too little time. Wednesday I had time - TIME, I tell you - and I was excited to tackle some projects that I had been putting off until I had TIME. I was going to accomplish such great things on Wednesday! I was going to make history, change the world, on Wednesday!

Nothing worked. Everything I tried to accomplish had an obstacle ... I needed a go-ahead somewhere, or an email returned with some info, or any number of things. This day that had TIME in it, was slipping quickly away with nothing to show for it.

It's possible that I became a teensy bit ... demanding. Just a hint, mind you. It's possible that the barest tinge of crustiness became evident. Normally, I am a lovely person, a real pleasure to be with. (You'll have to take my word for that, as I'm afraid to ask anyone to confirm.) But by Wednesday afternoon, well, I just wanted SOMETHING to work. ANYTHING.

So it's possible that I phoned one person in particular ... twice. They were gracious enough to answer their phone both of those times. It certainly might be true that I texted and phoned them ... several times ... after that, and they didn't answer. Presumably they had a life of some kind that didn't revolve around my Wednesday. I gave up and ran some errands. I also had a coffee, which transformed me back into my usual charming self.

A few hours later, my phone buzzed with a text ... "My, aren't we high-maintenance today ... smirk ... I'm in meetings ... will call you later."

*gasp*

High-maintenance! Can you imagine such a thing? Not me. I'm easy-going and relaxed. I am NOT high-maintenance. It's a shame that my multiple texts and messages didn't communicate that properly.

... mid-maintenance, maybe ...