"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Friday, January 07, 2011

apps


We recently re-discovered a wedding gift that had been in storage.

When we received it, it was dutifully appreciated, but I couldn't imagine why anyone would really need it. Now I am old. And I am cold. And Spike pointed out to me a few weeks ago that we had an electric blanket with dual controls that we have never used, and perhaps we would like to try it out. I'm guessing that my half hour of full-body shivering each night is less than pleasant for him. Either that, or he truly cares about my comfort. Maybe a little of both.

Can I tell you something?

i love the electric blanket. and it loves me.

i can't imagine what i was thinking, having it in a storage closet all this time. spike wondered aloud the other day if it was going to impact our electricity bill, and i looked at him, wide-eyed in fear, and quietly stated, "i'm not going back." "i know," he sighed.


Last night we were on our way home from playing Sequence with some friends, and it was late, and it was cold, and I was tired, and I wished that we had a turn-the-blanket-on-before-we-get-home app on our phones.

Note: Our phones have no apps at all. You can talk or text on them. And write yourself a memo. There is a calendar, but I can't figure out how to use it. Any conversations we have about "apps" are purely theoretical.

Theoretical conversations are way more fun than realistic ones. We considered some other apps that might be really helpful to people in the app world. Here are a few.

"pick up the cat turd" app. Self-explanatory, I think. For times like this.

"get up to pee in the middle of the night" app. Wouldn't that be lovely? No more lying half awake, hoping that you can just hang on until morning. No more shivering down the hall. Just use the app.

"roadie" app. Not all of you need this, but musicians like Spike do. You have no idea how much time is spent hauling gear, packing gear, transporting gear, unpacking gear, setting up gear, sound-checking gear ... playing a show ... and then tearing down gear, packing gear, transporting gear home, where you unpack the gear and haul it into your home. Usually in the middle of the night. Not to mention changing strings over and over again. A roadie app would be a real benefit, I think.

I'm going to keep thinking about this. Surely I can make some money with these brilliant ideas.

Meanwhile ... me and my electric blanket are very happy together.