"All words are symbols that represent unspeakable realities. Which is also why words are magical." (Donald Miller tweet)

Thursday, January 23, 2014

mustard seed co-op

I just became a founding member of the Mustard Seed Co-op.


At least, I think I did - I don't have the confirmation email yet, but I definitely paid.

Why? Well … It's new. It's only a city block from where I work. And I'm intrigued by the concept.

Plus I've never been a founding member of anything.

So there's that.

Over the last few years, I've become a summer customer of Backyard Harvest, an urban farmer whom you've already heard about. I've also become a winter customer of the Good Food Box offered by Environment Hamilton. And I'll admit I still collect PC points at the Fortinos down the street.


Bibi and Paula over there serve a nice cup of dark coffee, and call me by name.

I like that.

When did I become so … intentional about food shopping? I'm not sure. But I think it's due in large part to the fact that the neighbourhood where I work (which is walking distance on a nice day from the neighbourhood where I live) is full of people enthusiastic about food. So it's easy for me to be intentional about it.

Furthermore, I have no say in what comes from either the Good Food Box or the Backyard Harvest box. They just give me food, and I use it. I'm gonna be honest with you - most times, that beats going through recipe books, making lists, and THEN shopping. That is just way too much effort, and if someone wants to choose my groceries for me, it would appear I'm OK with that.

It's possible I'm food-lazy.

Regardless. It forces me to eat well. And with the time saved from NOT making massive grocery lists, I can blog. So there's a benefit to you too.

See?

I'm looking out for you.